Sunday 5 January 2014

Pine Processionary Caterpillar

The Pine Processionary (Thaumetopoea pityocampa) is a moth of the faimly Thaumetopoea. It is one of the worst pine pests. They build their nests in Pine trees. The nest is made out of silk, definitely the strongest silk I've ever seen. They are active in the winter but they only come out at night to eat the pine leaves.

Nest of the Processionary caterpillars and in the back ground even more
They do have some  predators, Eggs can be eaten by a Cricket (Ephippiger ephippiger),  Larvae can be eaten by birds such as a Great Tits and Adult Moths can be eaten by Bats
The Processionary has lots of stinging hairs that can give you a rash and cause eye irritations.
The reason i am writing about them  is because me and my dad have seen many in the pine trees around where we live, more than last year. We think its because last winter it was quite warm. I am looking forward to the spring when the Processionary caterpillars march out  of the trees to find places to pupate.   Check out my Pine Processionary video!!





 
The Processionary caterpillar!! ;)

Another nest

The Processionary caterpillars that we found

2 comments:

  1. Great stuff, Dylan! I didn't know much about Processionary caterpillars, but this is really interesting. Love the blog design. I'll make sure to work my way through the older posts. Nick.x.

    ReplyDelete