Saturday 24 February 2018

Snakes In Bulgaria 3. Smooth Snake - Coronella austriaca


The Smooth Snake is a non-venomous specie found in northern and central Europe. They are a small snake specie only growing up to 60-75 cm long. Females grow larger then males. The Smooth Snake is the rarest reptile in the UK.They emerge during March/April when males will start competing for females. Females don't lay eggs, they give birth to 4-12 live snakes. They mainly feed on other reptiles such as lizards, but sometimes will eat rodents and invertebrates to. They are constrictors, meaning they squeeze the life out of there pray then swallow it. A lot of people mistake them for adders and unfortunately they get killed by humans quite often. I have lots of videos of me holding and catching Smooth Snakes, the video is at the end of the blog if you would like to see it. They can bite if felt threatened but luckily it's a weak bite and will not hurt more then a thorn.



Video of Smooth snakes that I caught ;)


Thanks for reading my blog!!

I found this new awesome video platform called Viuly, I started using it a few months ago and I upload nature videos on it regularly. I really like it because it pays you to watch and upload videos. If you wanna check out my nature videos on Viuly you can sign up from HERE!! It will earn me and you a bit of cash if you do!! Thanks ;) Or if you want to watch my videos on You Tube click here ;)





My Channel ;)



No comments:

Post a Comment